News & Events
HFOSS 2010 Summer Institute Project Presentations
The HFOSS Project 2010 Summer Institute student presentations will be held at Wesleyan University Science tower (rm. 058) on July 30th 2010.
Presentation are scheduled by students from Bergen Community College, Connecticut College, Mount Holyoke College, Oregon State University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Trinity College and Wesleyan University and will broadcast via dimdim.
9:00am – 10:15am: Presentations (Rm. 058)
• Create your own phone application with App Inventor for Android. Nina Limardo (Trinity), Pauline
Lake (Trinity), Chinma Uche (Greater Hartford Academy of Math and Science), Elizabeth W. Tamotsu
(Francis T. Maloney High School).
• POSIT: Find anything, catalog everything. Scotty Eckenthal (Trinity), Rachel Foecking (Trinity),
Prasanna Gautam (Trinity), Ben Hartung (Trinity), Greg Vaughan (Trinity).
• Jaaka: The privacy aware information sharing application. Amy Barrett (Connecticut College), Brian
Stambaugh (Connecticut College), Jeff Young (Trinity).
• Tor Weather. Jeffrey Ruberg (Wesleyan), Michael Vitale (Wesleyan), Katie Wagner (Wesleyan).
• XPilot-Ed: Development of a game-based educational framework. Bryan Hobbs (Western New
England College), Patrick McGrath (Connecticut College).
• Open source software and the local community: The Hartford Public Library Literacy Project. Antonio
Alcorn (University of Connecticut), Ben Hartung (Trinity).
10:15am – 10:30am: Coffee break
10:30am – 11:45am: Presentations (Rm. 058)
• Sahana Eden: Innovative disaster relief management. James McMillan (RPI), Stephen Trombetti (RPI).
• Collabit. Sam DeFabbia-Kane (Wesleyan), Katherine Fawcett (Trinity), Dimitar Gochev (Trinity).
• Adding a module to create medical forms in OpenMRS. Hannah Deutsch (Mt. Holyoke), Maria Fiske
(Mt. Holyoke), Melissa Frechette (Mt. Holyoke).
• FAST (Free Ambulance Services Technology): a mobile medical form for EMS workers. Elias Chalhoub
(BCC), Constantine Cherkashyn (BCC), Steve Greco (BCC), Beth Mary Hall (BCC), Eric Perrotta
(BCC), Roberto Ronderos (BCC), Andy Stanish (BCC).
• Dasher. Julian Applebaum (Wesleyan), Ryan Gee (Wesleyan).
• HFOSS enablement: Overcoming disabilities through mobile devices. Mike Burns (Oregon State), Kiel
Friedt (Oregon State), Brian Granatir (Oregon State), Ahmad Sharifpour (Oregon State).
11:45am – 12:30pm: Demonstrations (Rm. 074)
12:30pm – 2:00pm: Lunch (Science Tower lobby and patio, north side)
The Hughes Summer Program has scheduled their poster session for the south side of the lobby from 1:00pm—
3:00pm, and there will be refreshments there; please make sure that you are getting your lunch from the north
side and not eating their food! Of course, you are more than welcome to explore their posters.